Cleaning Up Your Internet Browser
To clean up your history in Internet Explorer, Firefox/Mozilla, and Safari (Macintosh), follow these steps:
To clean up your browser in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- On the menu bar, choose Tools > Internet Options. By default, this brings up the “General” tab.
- On the General tab, Choose Delete Cookies, Delete Files and Clear History to delete your computer’s cookies, downloaded internet files, and history. Remember, when you clear the cookies, history and internet files, the browser will not remember account settings (such as usernames and passwords, or some preferences for sites which you regularly visit).
- You can also choose to reset internet web settings by going to the Menu Bar, and choosing Tools > Reset Web Settings.
To clean up your browser in Mozilla Firefox, follow these steps:
- Open up the Mozilla Firefox Browser.
- Go to the Menu Bar, and choose Tools > Options.
- Choose the privacy sub-menu from the menus on the left. You will have the option to clear all the information saved on the browser.
- You can choose which information you want to delete, or you can choose “clear all” to completely clean the internet browser.
To clean up your browser in Macintosh’s Safari, follow these steps:
- Open the Safari web browser
- There are two options for cleaning up your browser in Safari. The first option is to completely reset your browser by going to Safari > Reset Safari.
- Resetting Safari erases your browsing history, empties the browser’s cache, clears the Downloads window, and removes cookies. It also removes any saved names and passwords or other AutoFill text and clears Google search entries. (In essence, it restores Safari to its default settings and state). This can be useful if you want to clean up all of your browser’s settings at once. However, if you wish to clean up specific aspects of your browser (your cookies, or your history, for example), you can clean each category separately.
- To clean your history, go to History > Clear History
- To clean your cookies, go to Safari > Preferences
- This brings up the options menu.
- Click on the Show Cookies button. You may then remove individual cookies by selecting them and pressing remove, or remove them all by clicking the remove all button.
- Click Done when you are finished to return to your browser.
Prepared by the ET Partners Program, IET Mediaworks and UC Davis